Essex School Direct has a long tradition of successful teacher training and were centrally involved in the ‘pilot’ year 2012-13 when the Government launched the programme.
- We currently have 56 trainees across 24 schools on our 2021-22 teacher training programme
- We provide a very special, school-based training experience in partnership with Tes Institute, who have a reputation for innovative on-line learning materials, especially in shortage subjects, with its Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses
- In recent years, we have had class leading results - in 2020-21, 90% of our trainees had found employment by the end of the course and our completion rate was 97%, which is well above average for Initial Teacher Training programmes
- Our School Direct programmes are accredited by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) and provide a blend of online learning and in-school experience leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and an option to add a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Our programmes are offered on a training, unsalaried basis with government bursaries being available for shortage subjects. (Bursaries will be confirmed in October.) Only those with significant prior teaching experience (ie; on an unqualified basis) would be considered for a salaried training place (and only then on a school's recommendation)
- The PGCE is accredited by our partner university (UEL) and is subject to annual review
- Tes Institute is committed to supporting school-based teacher training, helping schools to create great teachers. Through our team of highly experienced Pathway Tutors working in partnership with schools and trainees, Tes combines the best of in-person and online learning to deliver truly flexible teacher training. Starting with just 2 partnerships and 27 trainees in 2013-14, Tes have trained thousands of teachers since, and have expanded further with 7 partnerships, from Essex into Suffolk and Kent. Tes schools work in partnership to share best practice and develop and deliver high quality teacher training
- Find out more about Tes Institute
- There are 24 schools in the Essex School Direct Partnership, and our trainees are managed from our base at the Lead School, Davenant Foundation School in Loughton
- We work with organisations in Harlow and Chelmsford, such as TeachHarlow (part of the Passmores Co-Operative Learning Community - PCLC Trust - which is made up of 4 schools in the Harlow area, including Potter Street Academy, Purford Green Primary, The Downs Primary School and Passmores Academy), as well as The Chelmsford Learning Partnership (CLP)
- Our unique blended learning programme combines school-based training, online learning materials, a network of experienced subject specialists to deliver pedagogy and subject knowledge and a number of off-site visits to special schools, primary schools and Leading Teacher days
- The Directors of Essex School Direct have been involved in teacher training locally for many decades and have been working in partnership with TES for the last 5+ years. The collaboration and cooperation between the schools is well established and is a strength of the partnership
- Each Partner School provides a fully trained Mentor for each trainee, supported by a Pathway Tutor from Tes, who visits each half-term.