Essex School Direct has a long tradition of successful teacher training and were centrally involved in the ‘pilot’ year 2012-13 when the Government launched the programme.
- We currently have 65 trainees across 24 schools on our 2020-21 teacher training programme
- We provide a very special, school-based training experience in partnership with Tes Institute, who have a reputation for innovative on-line learning materials, especially in shortage subjects, with its Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses
- Our track record is impressive - 97% of our 2019-20 trainees were graded 'Good' or 'Outstanding'
- Our salaried and unsalaried School Direct programmes are accredited by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) and provide a blend of online learning and in-school experience leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and an option to add a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- The PGCE is accredited by our partner university (UEL) and is subject to annual review
- Tes Institute is committed to supporting school-based teacher training, helping schools to create great teachers. Through our team of highly experienced Pathway Tutors working in partnership with schools and trainees, Tes combines the best of in-person and online learning to deliver truly flexible teacher training. Starting with just 2 partnerships and 27 trainees in 2013-14, Tes have trained thousands of teachers since, and have expanded further with 7 partnerships, from Essex into Suffolk and Kent. Tes schools work in partnership to share best practice and develop and deliver high quality teacher training
- Find out more about Tes Institute
- There are 24 schools in the Essex School Direct Partnership, all judged to be outstanding or good (Grade 1 or 2) by Ofsted and managed by ESD from their base at Davenant Foundation School as the Lead School
- Our unique blended learning programme combines school-based training, online learning materials, a network of experienced subject specialists to deliver pedagogy and subject knowledge and a number of off-site visits to special schools, primary schools and Leading Teacher days
- The Directors of Essex School Direct have been involved in teacher training locally for many decades and have been working in partnership with TES for the last 5+ years. The collaboration and cooperation between the schools is well established and is a strength of the partnership
- Each Partner School provides a fully trained Mentor for each trainee, supported by a Pathway Tutor from Tes, who visits each half-term.